Re[2]: Jurik JMA as Optimized M.A. Crossover strategy

Hello Michael,

a couple of things to consider--

JMA at short lengths (e.g., 4-10) is essentially a smoothed proxy for
price itself.  for that reason I use JMA, len = 6-8 as price and watch
carefully how it behaves around the 20 EMA.

consider that a 20 simple MA if plotted over the center of prices that
comprse it would be the price 10 bars ago--this is called a centering
the MA.

so when you use the 3SMA crossing the 20 SMA you are approximating the
price proxy going above the price 10 bars ago--effectively a 10 bar
breakout strategy.

I point this out not to suggest a different system but so you
understand what you are implicitly doing.

Before going too far with coding per se I'd suggest studying a lot of
charts with various MA's plotted on them.  One exercise I do
occasionally is to plot a 20 ema, a 8 JMA on a 5 to 30 min chart and
format the price to hidden.

Best regards,
 Jim Johnson                           mailto:jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxx

--
Monday, July 22, 2002, 12:28:47 PM, you wrote:

MH> Thanks for input from Ernie, Jim, Michael and Ron. I am still working
MH> through your various suggestions.

MH> Below is the quick solution that I have achieved so far - which mimicks  the
MH> approach some of you suggested.
MH> I am not an experienced easy language user.

MH> Basically I took the existing Moving Average crossover STRATEGY  that comes
MH> with Trade Station and replaced the Bullish Moving average SIGNAL with a JRC
MH> version SIGNAL. To do this I first has had to open the existing Bullish
MH> Moving Average crossover SIGNAL and substitute the correct values/ inputs to
MH> make it a KMA version .
MH> Directly below is
MH> 1) the original M.A. Signal code
MH> 2) the modified to  JMA MA signal code
MH> 3) Steps I took to insert these into the generic M.A. crossover strategy
MH> and then optimize the result JMA crossover Strategy.

MH> 1)
MH> {*******************************************************************
MH> Description     : Moving Average Crossover (2 Line) Long Entry
MH> Provided By     : Omega Research, Inc. (c) Copyright 1999
MH> ********************************************************************}

MH> Inputs: Price(Close), FastLen(9), SlowLen(18);

If CurrentBar >> 1 AND AverageFC(Price, FastLen) Crosses Above
MH> AverageFC(Price, SlowLen) Then
MH>         Buy ("MAC") This Bar on Close;

MH> 2)
MH> (MH Note: I then substituted the JRC.JMA.2k as follows and added the
MH> required input of phase ( left to zero - does this make sense?: )

MH> *******
MH> Inputs: Price(Close), FastLen(9), SlowLen(18), Phase(0);

If CurrentBar >> 1 AND JRC.JMA.2k(Price, FastLen, Phase) Crosses Above