Re: Limited life span of mechanical systems?

Schedlbauer, Joseph E. <JoeS@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would it not be true that the MC simulation, due to the high number
>of trade  sequences it generates, would come up with many sequences of
>trades which contain unrealistically long sequences of losers, and
>therefore overstate the system's max drawdown?

There would be unrealisticaly long sequences of losers.  There would
also be unrealistically long sequences of winners.  There would also be
unrealistically evenly distributed sequences of winners and losers.
There would be every conceivable sequence of trades if the MC were
allowed to iterate for long enough.  Would this overstate the max dd?
Moot point - if you believe that one sequence of trades is as likely as
any other sequence of trades then you can use MC to establish the
probability of a dd of a certain magnitude.  In this view, the sequence
of trades that resulted from the application of a trading system to a
data series is just one discrete sequence of trades, no more
significant than any other.

It's interesting to note that after a sufficient number of trials a MC
will cover every conceivable arrangement of winners and losers,
including all winning trades consecutively, followed by all losing
trades consecutively and vice versa - the mother of all dd's!  Not that
this bizarre possibility detracts no more or less than any other
sequence from the usefulness of MC.

> Wouldn't it be better to look at the system's
> losing percentage and average losing trade and use statistics to
>estimate the probability of a particular level of drawdown?

What "statistics"?  In the process of averaging, you are losing
information.

IMHO cumulative frequency distribution analysis is the proper method of
establishing the probability of a draw of a certain size.

Elliot