Re: TS4 - which Win?

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find much consensus.  After years of
troubleshooting software, hardware, network, and other issues-- I've found
that it is very easy to make erroneous assumptions and diagnoses --
especially if one is not very experienced with technical glitches and has
little experience with the art.  Imo, many of the problems that people
reported with W98, and thought they fixed by trudging through the arduous
upgrade jungle to W2K, could have been fixed by a few tweaks and tune-ups
and sometimes a re-install-- but you'll never convince them that it might
have even been possible.

People have posted opinions ranging from W98 and W2K both being the worst
to the best operating systems.  I rarely change anything on any of my
computers unless there's some compelling need to do so and I'm fairly
certain that I'll gain one or more benefits from the upgrade.  Others rush
out to get the latest OS, presumably in hopes that it will be better than
the last or might fix some perceived problem that may be real or
imagined.  Simply adding $50 worth of Ram frequently works wonders, but
some prefer to upgrade instead.

Once W98 was stabilized several years ago, all new OSs (NT, W2K, XP) had
serious bugs and problems when they were introduced and subsequently got a
little better as fixes were released.  Rather than an upgrade, sometimes
all that is needed is a little tune-up.  You can fix a problem with a car
by replacing it, but maybe all that was needed was some air in the tires
and a new set of spark plugs-- but clearly, replacing the car "fixed" the
old problem.

Recently, my trading PC started getting sluggish during market hours while
running TS4, QCharts, Qcollector and a few other apps.  Pinning the problem
down to QCharts needing its workspace rebuilt made it fairly easy to solve
the problem, but several years ago I might not have known or tried that and
might have erroneously thought I needed a new PC or OS --