RE: OT - backup/cloning large disks?

I'm also investigating a backup plan. System Guardian will only backup
images locally; i.e., it won't do mapped drives to UNC paths. For local
drive safety, RAID-1 has been a no hassle alternative. I hope to play with
"double-take" in a week or so.  (for more info
http://www.nsisoftware.com/main/pages/newsevents/2000/102300.html). If
anyone is interested in joining me in a bulk licensing commitment, please
let me know.

Colin West

I've had very good luck using a backup program called System Guardian
(www.systemguardian.com). Unlike Ghost which I used to use, and which
requires a reboot to DOS in order to perform a backup, SG lets you backup
from one internal hard disk to another while working in Windows 2000.
Several times a day, I do a "fast volume backup" which just updates anything
that has changed on the HD since the last time I did it. It typically takes
2-3 minutes. You end up with a true clone of your primary hard disk --
windows and all.

One recommendation: Instead of backing up to a network, I'd urge you to buy
a second HD since it becomes a bootable backup. The program has saved my
bacon several times where something became damaged or corrupted on my
primary disk. I just powered down, swapped HD's, and booted up from the
backup. Before SG, I had to redo a damaged HD from scratch, and it took days
to get all the programs loaded through their various updates, and configured
the way I had them. Never again!

R Engholm
Portland, ME