Re: Limited life span of mechanical systems?

One thing to consider is how much data you developed the system with to
determine MaxDD.  If it was 10 years and the longest DD was 9 months, that
might no be so bad, but if it was 3 years and the longest DD was 9 months,
I'd go back to the drawing board.

One thing you can do from the get-go when developing a system is build in a
rule to only take trades when the system's equity curve is above a moving
average of it's equity curve.  This way, when the system goes into a
drawdown, it will stop itself.  Of course, this becomes another parameter
that you must consider when deciding whether you've curve fit something.

Best answers: 1) test on as much data as possible, 2) don't scale too
aggressively, 3) trade multiple non-correlated systems, 4) be sure you have
enough capital to survive MaxDD * 2 and still eat.

Kent