Re: Off Subject - Monetary Goals

Schedlbauer Joseph E. wrote:
>Does anyone care to share what their monetary goals are for their trading?

This is an excellent question that everyone should think about.  The
ballpark number I see bandied about is, if a professional trader
makes 30-40% a year, s/he is having a good year.

For me, return isn't my primary consideration.

It is my goal to trade for a living.  In order to do that, I need
to be able to draw out a "salary" from my account.  I figure that I
could live quite comfortably drawing out $75,000/year.

With approximately 250 trading days/year, this means that I have to
earn a MINIMUM average of $300/day in my trading, or $1500/week.
And that's just for drawing out the salary without growing the
account.

>What yearly percent return are you shooting for?  I don't know what
>a reasonable expectation is and I would appreciate anyone's input.

I don't think about yearly return.  It's not important, other than
the return be positive, and sufficient to sustain the income I
demand.  What is important to me is the expectancy of my trading,
and the income I can draw from it.  The return that represents is
a matter of one's account size.  Making a $30K account generate
$75K/year in income represents an unreasonably huge return to
expect.  Doing it with a $200K account is probably more reasonable.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com