DJ and Family...

I've been testing an intraday system on the symbol $INDU which TS
reports as being the Dow Jones Industrial Index. Other sources say it's
the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Are they the same?

Also, when entering this symbol into TS's Global Server, it says it's
from the NYSE exchange although other sources say it's the CBOT.

I'm using eSignal and I'm getting the $INDU data which the eSignal site
says is sourced from the CBOT although I don't pay the fee for data from
the CBOT (it seems to be one of a number of indices and statistics which
eSignal "throws in" with your futures subscription). However, I also see
the NYSE site also has a Dow Jones entry and their Symbol lookup to INDU
(not $INDU) responds with Dow Jones and Company.

I'm a bit confused...

Can I trade the $INDU or is there another market - DJ? - used for
trading?

I've be everso grateful if someone could explain the differences and
advise about the tradable markets.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Ian