Re: Quiet PC components

1.  Actually, Seagate Barracuda IV's do support RAID.  Apparently, and I
don't know if this is still true, they are too fast for some RAID
controllers:  http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=80 .
>From Seagate:
http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1156%5E4,00.html

http://www.seagate.com/products/discsales/discfamily/A1h5.html

The best RAID controllers are the 3WARE 7810 & 7850:
http://www.3ware.com/products/Ecompatibility.asp?Title=Product&subTitle=373&ImageNumber=2

http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/3ware-7810/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/raid-roundup-2/

Although Seagate HDD's are an option, I have 2 Maxtor 7200 RPM 30 GB's and
I would stick with Maxtor.

2.  While Zalman "Flower" heatsinks look exotic, they don't cool as well as
other HS's.  Also, they often do not fit on motherboards.  I do not
recommend you buy the Zalman "Flower" or "Radiator" HS's.  You can find 2
major HSF reviews here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQy
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OQ==
Before I purchased my PC components in Sept, I did extensive research on
all of them.  I decided on an all copper Thermalright SK6 heatsink.  I
initially used a 60 mm T&T 5.8K RPM, 42 dBA, fan but it was very loud.
Then, I used a Thermaltake 4.5K RPM but it was too slow and the center was
too large making the fins too small.  I finally settled on a Sunon
GM1206PTVX-AF 5.2K RPM.  It has a new/advanced "vapor" bearing system, a
very small center, and therefore larger fins.  It is quiet and delivers 26
CFM:
http://www.zalmantech.com/Vapor60.htm
http://www.sunon.com.tw/product/ms/ms6025.htm

If you are concerned about noise, do not buy a 60 mm fan faster than 5200
RPM.  I also have a Whisper Enermax 430 Watt PSU:  EG465P-VE(FC).  If your
motherboard is a newer one, has 4 holes next to the ZIF socket, and the
capacitors don't interfere, get an Alpha PAL8045 HS.  It uses an 80 mm fan
which delivers more CFM's with less noise (dBA's).  Even a slower 80 mm at
2900 RPM will deliver 37 CFM with 30 dBa.  80 mm fans are quieter (dBA's)
than 60 mm fans at the same speed and deliver more air flow (CFM's).
http://www.micforg.co.jp/c_pal8045e.html
Mobo compat:  http://www.micforg.co.jp/mb_inf_pal8045e.html
http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/heatsinks/alpha/pal8045/index.htm

Daniel.