Re: Off topic: new cable modem

Can't tell from the data, but I doubt it's quite that simple --

Your Cable ISP most likely allows only one IP to be assigned via a DHCP
server to one device (computer, router, etc.) --

If you want to run multiple computers off the single cable link, you would
either need to order additional IPs from the ISP (usually about $10/month
each) or get a router that would pull the one allocated IP and "NAT" it
into multiple internal IPs to be assigned via its own DHCP server to your
PCs --  This scenario also provides a hardware firewall by default --

The LinkSys BEFSR41 Router (about $90 to $130 depending on current deals)
is a favorite that will clone your one IP into over 250 IPs for your PCs --