Re[4]: Security Alert -- KLEZ virus

On Monday, April 29, 2002, 1:17:19 PM, Ernie Bonugli wrote:

EB> I too use TheBat.  I have wondered whether you can get exposed
EB> whenever the message text is displayed in the preview area.

TheBat does not use any M$ code for this, and is not vulnerable to the
M$ 'preview' exploits.

EB> TheBat won't open anything beyond that if it is the shape of a
EB> file.

You can set TB to do whatever you want with any type of file. It is
quite flexible. I allow viewing only graphics, have *strict* warnings
on a very small number of others, and everything else goes to safe,
**NON-M$** software for viewing, etc. This lets me see all the viruses
for what they are, if I wish. I usually delete just the attachments,
and leave the message, assuming it is otherwise a legitimate message
(this is even better than most cleaning). This disables the virus
completely. If it's an HTML baddie, TheBat uses its own code for
display and is much less vulnerable. You can see the 'bad stuff' in
the HTML too, if you wish.

If you're really paranoid, you can set it to prevent opening anything.

There are additional security features as well. I like it.

ztrader