Re[2]: changes to Privacy Statement at traders2traders.com

On Monday, April 22, 2002, 1:05:01 PM, ola oys wrote:

oo> In a nutshell IMHO, it is NOT a good idea,

I agree!

oo> 1. The reasons you gave for attracting folks on this list to
oo> participate in building up the site is to enable us have a site
oo> from which we can share, not where we are going to be exposed to
oo> commercials.

True - this is like the recent Yahoo changes to be more intrusive. I
would NOT want commercials at this site.

oo> 2. Contributors of data, literature, codes, e.t.c. did it to
oo> encourage others cut down on their needs or learning curves, not
oo> to serve as the back on which commercial interests will ride.

If you insist on doing this, perhaps you could include ONLY sites that
offer a SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION, not just an ad. For example,
(a)unique(not at other sites), EXTENSIVE, high quality data that can be
downloaded at no cost,
(b)an EXTENSIVE discussion of a COMPLETELY REVEALED trading concept
    (NO 'teasers'),
(c)a FULL copy of a paper that describes a VERY interesting trading
     concept,
(d)or a topic that is BETTER than those typically on T2T.

In other words, they FREELY give something of GREAT value in return
for being listed on the site. If they're not willing to do that, then
NO ads should appear.

This contribution should be onthe T2T site, NOT on the advertisers
site. The idea is to contribute something that would be of enough
value to traders to make them WANT to go to the site after they see it
(but NOT allowing 'teasers' of any kind.)

oo> 3. Once you allow commercials, you have to agree to
oo> some conditions, because they will end up paying you,
oo> whether for good or bad. To that extent, there is no
oo> way you can control how far it will go.

Set up a 'comments' section for EVERY advertiser, in which users can
give public feedback on any site that advertises there. [There will,
of course, be some 'stuffing' added by the advertisers shills, always
saying how it is the most fantastic trading system in the world. Yeah,
right. :-)] Part of the agreement is that they will allow such
comments to remain on the site WITHOUT taking legal action of any
kind. They can, of course, give their side of the story.

oo> 4. Commercials can be very distracting, and sometimes border on
oo> the ridiculous. Some of them even serve as hidden links to porn
oo> sites that open other browser windows without being invited to,
oo> for instance, and you really can't control that, can you?

If you insist on doing this, these might help:

A. Allow ONLY text references with ***NO*** graphics. The text
reference shall be ONLY a 'simple' reference, with no attached
information, and nothing hidden.

B. Next to each ad, remind users with text such as - "This is a THIRD
PARTY COMMERCIAL site, NOT part of T2T, and your privacy and security
may be compromised by going there." Without this reminder, many users
will not be able to distinguish another site as not part of T2T.

oo> 5. If I want commercials related to trading, I have
oo> zillion+1 places to visit, not traders2traders.com

Agreed. There needs to be something SIGNIFICANT that distinguishes
these ads from ALL other possibilities, or it will just be a
zillion+2.

oo> 6. I do not see the benefit commercial elements will
oo> serve here.

The only benefit would be a VERY SIGNIFICANT and FREE contribution, of
interest to all traders. This contribution should be UNIQUE to the T2T
site - not the usual stuff, and not at any other site.

oo> Instead, open another site for that purpose, if necessary mixed
oo> with stuff on trading, and let such a site fly on it's own.

BUT - do NOT include any of the contributed material on this site - it
would NOT be fair to the contributors.

oo> 8. Your idea of allowing commercials here has the potential of
oo> turning off some contributors to other share ideas that may be
oo> muted in the future. At least, it is capable nof making some
oo> people suspicious of the ultimate motive.

Totally agree - it 'smells' bad.

oo> Personally, I just don't like changing the premises or
oo> rules in the middle of a game.

Yep.

oo> Meanwhile, thanks a great deal, Colin, for putting together and
oo> hosting traders2traders.com, it's been tremendously useful!

Agreed - and I hope it stays that way, and gets better, not worse.

ztrader