Re: Simple Windows Beep

Hello Jim,

JO> I don't have a sound card installed, but surely I can get a beep out
JO> of the speaker without one?

You indicate that you hear a beep from the computer but you don't have
a sound card installed so I assuming that you don't have external
speakers that one plugs into a sound card.  So the speakers you're
refering to must be the internal speakers in your computer case that
comes standard with cases that isn't generally used in the Windows OS
environment.  The Windows OS uses a sound card to "send sound" to
external speakers.

JO> I haven't tried installing software under the Win95 Multimedia
JO> section, thinking this was for fancy sound-card stuff.  Do
JO> I really need to start poking around in multimedia to get a
JO> simple beep?

No

JO> I know the computer is capable of beeping because Linux does
JO> it quite nicely.  Surely there's a way to get Win95 to beep too?

Though I don't have experience in Linux, I do know a little about
hardware.  What linux is probably accessing is the speakers inside
your computer case.  Windows utilizes sound card to play sound.

Stick in an old sound card, install drivers, get some cheap speakers,
and let symphony begin!

JO> TIA,

JO> Jim

The above info could, and is probably incorrect.  As always, your
mileage may vary.

--
Best regards,
 Tai                            mailto:listmanager@xxxxxxxxxxxx