TS Executions

I have experienced much the same thing as Robert Linders in my fully
automated trading. I finally reached and had a long conversation recently
with Joe Nikolson (Tradestation's Chief Operating Officer) about a number of
my concerns with the difficulty of automated trading of any significant size
(e.g., 1000-10,000 share blocks), poor executions, and a punishing
commission structure that seemed upside down (larger blocks pay huge ECN
fees even though there should be some economies of scale). I did question
why my former brokerage TrendTrader was able to negotiate far smaller ECN
fees that a supposedly larger company like TS / Bear Stearns.

Joe assured me that TS did not receive any compensation for order flow (I
don't know about Bear Stearns, though). He also said theat there would be
some routing improvements in the next major release (no date), and that TS's
folks at the server farm constantly monitor executions for timeliness.

Having once been VP of a financial software company for 10 years, I know how
difficult it is to design and maintain good, solid, state of the art
software. I'm willing to give TS the benefit of the doubt on the technical
issues. What I cannot deal with are the simple people ones -- like having
someone promise to call me back, and then not do it.

Rudy Engholm
Portland, ME

PS -- And Tradestation, if you're listening, we really need a
Quicken-compatible transaction output. I've been struggling with getting
many, many trades into Quicken this week in preparation for taxes. If you
want lots of traders doing automated trades, the back-office side needs some
attention too.
-------