Re[2]: An open letter to TradeStation users from Bill and Ralph Cruz

On Thursday, March 28, 2002, 5:12:44 PM, Bob Fulks wrote:

BF> At 2:57 PM -0500 3/28/02, Melody Blais wrote:

>>An open letter from Bill and Ralph Cruz has just been posted addressing
>>numerous changes in our business policy and pricing based on user requests.
>>I thought you might like to see it.

BF> (They supply 1-tick bars but only very little data - far too
BF> little for meaningful backtesting.)

Agreed!! I like tick charts, and I use some *very* long charts in real
time - *essential* for me.

BF> 1-minute bars are simply too course for trading today.

Agreed!!

BF> We certainly do not need the 40,000 bars per day of a 1-tick chart
BF> for backtesting

I *like* long charts, and use many 40,000 bar charts regularly, but
not necessarily 1-tick.

BF> Using 0.1-minute resolution would require only 4000 bars in a day

But NOT a substitute for multi-tick charts.

BF> We all have lots of existing data - going far back in time. We
BF> need to be able to use that data for backtesting. The ability to
BF> load OMZ and XPO files into a chart (even if they are not stored
BF> in a server) would be a great convenience.

Not a convenience - essential. Also, we need to keep that data
updated without going thorough ridiculous procedures.

BF> ASCII might be OK but it is pretty verbose.

Given the closed nature of TS data formats, I'd actually prefer good
ASCII tools and inputs, bug as they are.

BF> A winning combination would be historical data-on-demand for
BF> charts on a tick-by-tick basis.

Sounds good.

I have a need for extensive continuous contracts, and I use more than
*one* kind of rollover. This is essential!

BF> I do not know their policy for this but some reasonable price for
BF> a development station (using intraday data but not requiring
BF> real-time data) would be needed.

Agreed!

BF> I understand that the new "research version" only works on
BF> "end-of-day data". That will not do it.

Agreed!

BF> Quality

This is a **BIG** problem, so far.