Re: Oddball Question

In a message dated 3/26/02 1:49:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dionkk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm experimenting with the Oddball system and I have a quick question about
 the trade by trade data:

 http://www.oddballsystems.com/positions/X.SPX-S0007.txt

 Does each entry in this file represent a single bar of data?  I see that
 some days end at 3:00 PM while most days have an additional bar of data,
 3:15 PM.  Since Oddball is based on the 7 bar ROC it seems that the extra
 (eighth) bar would throw off the results.

 Am I right to assume that a testing dataset should contain 7 hourly bars per
 day, 9:00 AM through 3:00 PM?

 Thanks much!

dionnkk,

The file you referenced does indeed show bars of data at 3:15 (Chicago time)
for most days.  I am also puzzled by that since the $spx index nominally is
finished for the day at 3:00, except for possible 'late' entries.  If you are
going to run tests against the cash ($spx) index, I'd cut off the data at
3:00 and use the 7 period roc.  S&P futures, however, trade until 3:15 and
that 8th data bar is real.  For the futures, using an 8 period roc takes care
of that.

Have fun.

Regards,

Lee Scharpen