Re: Why TS2k crashes -- maybe

I've had experience with running TS2000 on 4 different machines using Win98,
Millenium, Win2000 and now Windows XP.  My observations have been:

- nothing causes more problems than TS2K
- memory alone doesnt save it from crashes (i've monitored it till it died)
because even with adequate memory it will choke on the system resources.

- on Win98 and Millenium you run out of system resources regularly and get
the blue screen as a result.
- on Win2000 and XP (and NT) you have dynamic allocation of system resources
so that key problem goes away.

- always do a clean install if you can because windows builds up grunge over
time (sort of like doing an oil change rather than just pouring more in the
top).

- some people don't like XP because its new but its much faster to load
itself and apps than Win2000 so its my current pick.  Its also rock solid
stable with TS2000 SP5
- running only one application on a machine is always a good idea for the
reasons quoted and simply because interactions will kill the apps.  Cisco
ran nothing but the phone server software on their Win2K workstations for
that reason.

And now the hypothesis that no one else has mentioned in this thread.

TS2000 has a problem with video cards and their drivers.
I've written variations on ELAs for AndrewsBabson lines etc and
found that some of my machines have problems and some don't.  The same has
been true of others who tried my software and similar software written by
others.  A simple test is to draw a trendline with the fine straight line
and then do extend right and extend left - some people get amazing results.

Running automatic trendline apps under W98 and Millenium could kill the app
and sometimes bluescreen the computer but changing only the OS (to XP) stops
it falling over even though it doesnt always render the trendlines properly.

So in the machines that have been rock solid ... what were the video cards?

It seems that machine speed, amount of RAM, video cards OS and general
purpose vs single application (especially for real time use) are all
important.  I don't think Disk I/O etc is ... Tradestation is a memory
hungry/resource hungry/video intensive application ... I'm also not sure if
it runs out of processing power or not.  One thing to try (yuck) under XP
(cant remember if you can do it under NT and W2K) is changing the
applications priority so that the TS apps get a higher share of the
processing available.  Has anyone tried that?

For my contribution on the video cards, it hates Rage Mobility M3 cards.

John