Re: NT4.0 SP 5 v's Windows 2000 for TS 2000i

Windows 2000 takes the best out of NT4.0 and 98.  NT4.0 is old and inferior.

Having said that, a lot of the problems will go away if you have sufficient
RAM.  People tend to be stingy with their RAM, focus too much on processor
speed, and blame it all on the software.   They also confuse processor
speed with insufficient RAM.  When you don't have enough physical memory,
you force your processor to spend half it's time managing virtual memory
and everything slows down.  TS2ki crashes tend to be related to virtual
memory.  For example, when you click on a button in TS2ki, you begin to
hear your hard drive go crazy, as your computer frantically swaps files in
virtual memory in attempt to respond to this event.  This takes more time,
TS2ki gets impatient, executions cross over or time-outs occur too soon and
the application blows up.

I think Windows 2000 takes up more physical RAM than NT 4.0.  This may
create the illusion that NT 4.0 is better on slower computers.   You don't
have to have the fastest processor, but you should have 512megs of RAM.
256megs is acceptable if you're not tracking that many symbols or working
with intraday data.

I also concur with others about using a dedicated and isolated machine just
or RT TS2ki.  Don't use it for email or web browsing.