Re: More Robust OddBall

The opening price calculation of all the cash indexes
suffer the same problem - some components are opened,
while some are "adjusting" the bid/ask before they are
opened. Thus the opening value is always off comparing
among many different vendors.

You can try using the 9:45 or 10:00 price instead,
there used to be a data vendor who provide the 10 am
price of DJ.

Anyone remember who that was?

Lawrence

--- Alex Matulich <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Just following up on my last post, here are a few recent quote.com
> >numbers for SPX. Obviously that open (and the high or low if it's the
> >same) can't be trusted.
> >
> >3/1/2002	1106.73	1131.78
> >3/4/2002	1131.78	1153.84
> >3/5/2002	1153.84	1146.14
>
> etc.
>
> I know, yahoo quotes does the same thing.  The data I'm using was
> provided to me by a person using a 'clean' source, so the opens reflect
> the actual open at the beginning of the U.S. trading day, not the
> previous close.
>
> However as you said, the only reliable number there is the close.
>
> I still think there might be some arbitrage opportunity somehow, since
> the SPX options *are* based on the calculated index, whether right or
> wrong, and the SPY seems to follow its own drummer.
>
> --
>   ,|___    Alex Matulich -- alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  // +__>   Director of Research and Development
>  //  \
>  //___)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com

=====
Lawrence Chan   http://www.tickquest.com
Transform market data into opportunities