Re: Bars to the right

Below is a copy of something that I offered to list participants years ago when
TS4 was the only thing going.

Sometimes it pays to be a pack rat.

Enjoy!

Bob Hunt

Plotting Indicators Into The Future

You're one of the people that requested additional info on plotting indicators
into the future in Tradestation.  The only reason that I asked interested parties
to e-mail me directly was so I wouldn't end up providing allot of tech support to
those who weren't definitely serious about learning how to do this.

As I mentioned in my post to the group, it involves advancing your system clock,
which in itself might open up a can of worms for people.  Doing so does not effect
me that much, except that it screws up my e-mail dates.

So here goes:

1.  Fire up the off-line server. Open up your portfolio. For the issue(s) that you
want to plot indicators into the future you need to provide dummy prices and
dates. There are two ways of doing this. A) If you only want to look a couple of
days in advance, you can do it one at a time by selecting the issue and then
hitting "Edit Daily".  Click on "Add". Make sure the date for tomorrow is correct
(it will always be correct unless the last day entered was a Friday or a day
before an exchange holiday). Then enter dummy prices for O,H,L,C  I usually just
re-enter the last Close for all values.  B) If you want to plot for more than just
a few days into the future it is best to create an ASCII file of the dummy dates
and prices and then import them into your portfolio via "Import Daily"

2.  Advance your system clock to include the days that you want to plot for. I
usually just advance it by a full month so that it's easier to revert back to the
correct date if needed.

This technique will also work on intraday charts, but I don't know of a way to
import tick data into TS.  What I do is to simply create an ASCII file from known
data and then attach the dummy dates and prices. I then create a chart directly
from the ASCII file and plot my indicators on that.

By the way, this technique of modifying your system clock also works great if you
want to replay intraday data in real time. Simply set your system clock BACK to
the date and time that you want to replay and TS will present the data as if it
were happening real-time.  It might be a good way of paper-trading for those who
feel the need. This works with time-based charts only. It will NOT work with tick
charts.

Enjoy!

Bob Hunt

--
Bob Hunt
THE PATTERN TRAPPER

 The Pattern Trapper Interactive On-Line Course is now available!
    http://www.PatternTrapper.com/coursetitle_pt/Course_.html