Re: Off topic : good voice recognition software?

David,
Via Voice comes with a 250,000 word dictionary that has many common names
and addresses in it.  There is also a correction window that you can bring
up and type in correct spellings.  Once you have corrected your text the new
spelling is then matched to your voice profile so it will come up correctly
the next time you say the word.  There are other options to make corrections
on the fly.  Ex: you would say SELECT "Folster" BEGIN SPELL "F O L S T E R"
.  There is a good instruction manuel in the box and the Plantronics mic
should give you good accuracy since it has USB input, so it bypasses your
soundcard.

When entering data into a database such as Access, you have the speech
engine running, put the cursor in the blank to be filled and say DICTATE
DIRECTLY.  From that point on you can direct the curser to skip to the next
field by saying NEXT FIELD.

The PC prossesor speed is extremely important, faster is better. I run P3
800 MHz with 128 MB Ram (but we normally recommend 256 MB RAM.  Also if
going through your sound card, not all cards are the same and some will not
work entirely from what we have seen, thus the importance of the USB above.

If my husband would let me install it on this PC, I would not be typing this
(grrrr).  It also works for instant messaging if you utilize it.
Hope this helps you.

Mary Ewers
Among other things,
IBM Via Voice Reseller