Resources for traders - My Top 4 Favorite Freeware

Dear List

I'm blown away by the generosity and kindness of those folks who make it
their business and hobby to write top notch freeware and I thought I'd share
with you some of the freeware I use as it relates to my trading research.
We all know about famous freeware stuff like Adobe Reader 5.0, Zone Alarm
2.6 and the Webshots screensaver, but here's a list of some slightly more
obscure winners:

1.  Keynote 1.3.3 - this is basically a superb text editor that allows you
to organize many bits of information efficiently and retrieve them quickly.
Instead of hundreds of txt files containing pieces of information spread all
over your hard drive, they can all be stored in one keynote file.  I use
this to record and organize any trading ideas I might have on the fly, as
well as maintain a trading to do list.  I also have a copy of the Phantom of
the Pits as a Keynote file.  It only takes one click on the icon that sits
in the system tray and up pops the program immediately.  It uses a
horizontal tabs and vertical tree structure to organize potentially hundreds
if not thousands of discrete text files.  Absolutely superb, and what's more
the source code is available so there are quite a few plug-ins available
too.  Version 1.3.6 is available now.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10021-100-8569990.html?tag=st.dl.10000-
103-1.lst-7-1.8569990
(Outlook seems to crop a long URL like this, sorry)

2.  Cogitum Co-citer 1.04 - this is an impressive URL bookmark organizer
that also doubles up as a tool for collecting research citations.  In
regards to trading, when I've found a new website that I want to bookmark, I
simply select a piece of text on the current page that describes the site,
right click, select a folder and then click okay - that is enough to
bookmark it along with a description of what it's all about.  Tons better
than the IE favorites folder.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-3356728-100-5194496.html?tag=st.dl.1000
0-103-1.lst-7-1.5194496

3.  HTTrack Website Copier 3.15 - the best website copier I have found.  I
recently copied a 900MB trading site onto my hard drive over two sessions
totalling 21 hours.  Unlike Webreaper and Webzip which I have also tried,
HTTrack allows you to interrupt a session and resume with no problems.  The
interface is much better and simpler also.  Very robust.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10067-100-8672416.html?tag=st.dl.10000-
103-1.lst-7-1.8672416

4.  ClickTray Calendar 2.50 - not specifically trading-related, but again a
superb example of what you can get with freeware.  Since it sits in the
system tray, all it takes is one click to access this month's calendar where
I can see at a glance any highlighted dates, or add a new entry.  Version
2.58 is now available.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10046-100-5753131.html?tag=st.dl.10000-
103-1.lst-7-1.5753131

Finally, although not freeware, I have to mention the print-to file driver
that I use:  Pagis Pro (3.0) Millennium by Xerox.  Whenever I'm on a web
page that has an interesting article, I click File>Print and presto within
seconds Pagis has printed out the page as an image file (xif format).  An A4
page B&W at 200dpi weighs in at about 25KB.  Furthermore, like Adobe
Acrobat, when you read the article printout you can annotate and highlight.
I cannot begin to say how this one piece of software has opened up the
Internet for me.  Indispensable for me.
http://www.scansoft.com/products/pagismill/

Best of luck in your trading efforts, and if anyone would care to add to
this list I'm sure that would be appreciated.

Rhetus