Re: Sirtrade Intl. Trading system newsletter Issue #2...

I'm not attempting to indicate that anything might be amiss with the file
under discussion, but before anyone is lulled into a false sense of
security about running an EXE file-- any two-bit high school programmer can
create an EXE file that could do catastrophic damage to your PC, (as well
as any and all others that are networked to it) with a file that will
easily pass a virus check and appear completely benign-- even after it's
executed.

All it takes is convincing the recipient that the file is safe.  A file
doesn't become known and identifiable as a virus file until after it's been
around for a while and gained a reputation for doing damage --

It's also possible that an EXE file could be doing other things than virus
activity that you may never know about but would not choose to permit if
you were aware of its activities --  Again, I'm not suggesting that
anything such as what I've described is likely to be the case in this
instance, but in general circumstances, it's not beyond the realm of
possibility.

The safest way to distribute this type of information is in a ZIP file, not
an EXE! -- The result is the same but the anxiety factor is missing --