RE: Did I miss something? RESULTS

It sounds like you have done everything you can.  The one thing I would
still try is to isolate the Seagate: no CD, no other disk.  Use a program on
floppy (i.e. Partition Magic boot disks, since you said you had that) and
try to format, check for errors, and otherwise beat-up the drive to see if
it finds any problems.