Re: Effects of too many people trading the same system?

Dear David & Group,

Several years ago, I visited my various brokers in Chicago, an activity that I
should have made much earlier in my trading career.  I vividly recall one (among
many) experiences I had there, this one on the floor of the CME, and
specifically on the side of the S&P pit.  This broker (who shall go nameless)
had two banks of S&P trading desks, one retail (for individuals like you and me,
generally, the 1- and 2-lot traders; there, a 5-10 lot was size) and the other
commercial (where I saw them unload 1000 S&P contracts in a fast market with
only a 0.5 point spread among them all).  Regarding your question, what I recall
is that they introduced me to one of their clerks whose job it was at their
retail desk to monitor a computer running a charting program (I don't think it
was TS) and tell the guys when likely technical signals would get hit ---
signals like a 14-period stochastic on a 5-min chart, various common moving
average cross-overs, Fibonacci retracements and extensions, and so forth.
They'd shout around the desks, so-and-so will be hit at [some price], and of
course, guess what would happen, their guys on the floor would step in front of
the signals and fade the hell out of them.  Who made money?  Well, what I can
tell you is that this broker paid this clerk to monitor his computer full-time,
and their guys on the floor kept fading these signals.  The law has a phrase
"Res ipsa loquitor", which means "the act speaks for itself."  Did these guys
have an edge or what?  Res ipsa loquitor!

Sincerely,

Richard