From: Lawrence Chan [mailto:stnahc@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 9:44 PM
To: Tom Nielsen; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Amazing, Incredible OddBall version performance ?

I do tend to agree what you quoted Mark saying that
"developers only want to deliver what they are capable of"
but must quantify that with a few extra points.

1. many, but not all, independent developers have this
   problem due to lack of software enginnering background.
   Everybody can learn to write programs, but when one is
   writing a large program that requires multiple programmers,
   testers, etc. then you need good software engineering
   to enable efficient collaboration.

2. many programmers like to pull from their bag of tricks to
   write code - sort of like a habit to solve certain type of
   problem they will tend to use a specific solution.
   If this developer has a bad habit in certain type of code,
   and no quality assurance by testers, then the bad or
   inefficient code will go to the hand of the user.

3. many programmers also like to use their first impression of
   a problem to code a solution. When they are down at middle
   of the coding and find that it is not a good solution at all,
   they will patch the solution to make it fit.
   With good planning, and willingness to dump code, good
   solutions can be created.

4. But remember, the cost to produce software is so high that
   many programmers are pressed by time constrain, limited by
   available resources (you can only type so much an hour!) and
   worst of all, unclear objective from the boss (I want to create
   the best trading software around! - but what define best?!) :)

Lawrence Chan
http://www.tickquest.com