Re: Illegal to sell TS????

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:11:13AM -0800, Bill Wynne wrote:
> Finally, the courts have ruled against the legality
> of software license agreements....at least until
> the software industry buys a more favorable decision...

>From what I understand, in the US these matters are governed
by the various state laws, and these laws in turn are coordinated
by some group that tries to make sure they're "uniform."

There's a now-infamous thing currently circulating among the
state legislatures called UCITA (Uniform... I bet) that tilts
extraordinarily in favor of the big software vendors, sanctioning
things like remote-disabling backdoors in software, and making
nonsense like the Omega license agreement unambiguously
enforcable.  It's hard to see why anyone would buy software
under a law like UCITA, but I guess the vendors think they
have enough of a monopoly to ram it down our throats.

If you're interested in UCITA, there's been lots of discussion
of it in InfoWorld, and I'm sure you can read lots at their
site: www.infoworld.com, as well as the standard web searches.

Jim