OFF TOPIC: Clean Install w2k was Pls critique my backupplan

I was installing a japanese wersion of win2k.  I elected to make the  clean
install vs the upgrade from win 98.

But just to be sure, I partioned the drive, adding a logical drive with
Partion magic where I copied the the orignal win98 files.

then went about the clean install without further issue.
successfully done I started the win 2K and found a pleasant surprise
...win2k recognized the presence of all the rpevious win98 apps.

I have not replicated this w2k install to see if I could reproduce the
result but...does this make sense?

Charlie