Re[2]: TS6 and the internet feed

  • To: Brian <blink64@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re[2]: TS6 and the internet feed
  • From: Jim Johnson <jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 07:28:23 -0800

Hello Brian,

I'll give you a quick response but feel free to ask addl q's.

Historical download: yes, for current contracts and historical indices
and continuous contracts (not adjusted, daily).  For non-curent you
can request by email/website and usually receives a file for import in
1-2 hours.

Tick correction:  they correct ticks throughout the day although I
have recieved very few.  A lot less than Quote.com for example.

Data refresh:  At night and over the weekend the satellite will
refresh, correct and fill in any missing data.  So if you have to
reboot during the day, there is no easy way to fill in the gaps during
the day but this will be done overnight.

Data limits: one of the downsides to FS is that it only retains ~250
days of < daily bars(5 min, tick, etc.  They refer to this as variable
data.   Not sure on amount of daily bars it retains.

Backtesting: In light of restricitons on # days I sometime use TS5 for
backtesting on continuous contracts i either build or buy or I simply
backtest by contract, which in some ways I like.

Import/Export:  asci can be "inserted" into fs's files but it is
tedious.  there are quicker ways involving macro express but I don't
mess with it. you can export fs data to an asci file but I find it
much easier to cut and paste it from the Data Window in TS4.

Cost: The basic sat setup costs me $350 which includes $50/ mo KU
transmission fee and $25/mo Exchange Processing Fee (??).  So roughly
it costs me $250 more per month than a typical interenet feed.  For
than I get to spend virtually no time screwing with data downloads,
correcttions; virtually no data interuption (except for sun spots  a
bit in the summer and heavy rain), I get to use TS4.

Downsides: no stocks or mutual funds, somewhat limited index coverage
(e.g. industry), 36" dish on my garage.....

Ironically, I've been awaiting the DTN via Dynstore option.  I may
seriously explore than as it seems you get all the pluses of FS and
non of the negatives.

What is you expectation for the reliability, ease of use etc. of DTN
Satellite + TS4?