Re: Adventures in Backup and Restoring With W2000

> I am currently "on my way" to order parts for new Athlon computer
> and would like to ask you, what site and what 2x80 GB ($120 each)
> drives did you buy?

www.pricewatch.com shows Maxtor and Samsung 80MB drives for less than
$120, but shipping is extra.  Those are all 5400RPM drives --
cheapest 7200RPM drive is a Seagate for $140 + shipping.

I just built an Athlon XP 1700+ box with ASUS A7V266-E/PA mobo
(includes RAID controller if I ever decide to do that), 512MB ECC
RAM, 40GB HD, top-end CD-RW, top-end case, etc etc.  Total outlay was
$1000 delivered.  Not the cheapest I could have done, but I'm pleased
with the result.

I used www.directron.com and www.mwave.com, both of which had good
deals and good service.  Mwave has mobo "bundles," where they
assemble and test the MB, CPU, CPU cooler, and RAM for $9.  Not a bad
deal when you consider how fragile some of those components can be.

If you don't want to build your own, www.systemquote.com has some
great pages to custom-build a box.  You specify the exact components
you want and the page gives you an instant quote.  They build it and
warrantee it.  Prices are maybe 10% over building it yourself.  E.g.
a box configured very similarly to mine is $1084 + $50 shipping, no
OS installed but including 1 year warrantee and support.  Pretty darn
good deal.  Add $49 and they'll support it for 3 years; add $135 and
they'll install & configure W2000 *and* help you with config problems.

If you go with less top-end components than I did, you can get a
1700+ with 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, and a CD-ROM (no CD-RW) for $829.  If
I didn't want some specific components that they didn't offer, I
would have gone with them.

Gary