Data import/export

I have religiously exported my data from the ...\omega\server\pds to
another drive (via the global server's export data, global server
format) every week

I export all the symbols into 1 "global" file.

The other day I needed to import all the data and when I was importing from
that global file in global server,  I kept getting a "not a global server
format"
error message, and there was no other way to import the data.

There was about 2 years of data.

I understand that this is a TS product, but does anyone have an idea
about how to export/save/backup data in a way that it will in fact be
saved and accessible when needed?

Thanks

Michel