Off-topic: Excel errors?

Fwd from another list. I think it's relevant since we all more or less
use Excel.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Fwd: Excel errors?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:10:59 -0600

I use Excel 97 SR-1 for a number of tasks, for one, to maintain
my bank account balance, and I can't tell you how many times I've
had real goofy stuff happen.

For instance, many times I'll paste the values (Edit Copy,
then Edit Paste Special, Values) back over a column of
formulas once the account has been reconciled with the
bank; many times I'll find that these two-decimal-place
numbers have somehow been magically rounded off to the
nearest several hundred nano-centavos way out at the 12,
13th and 14th decimal place.  And there was never any
source for the round-off error to begin with, since the
most complex operation conducted in this sheet is adding
or subtracting numbers with two-decimal-places, and I
make sure they are formatted correctly before I start.
This stuff shouldn't happen!

Although I can't reproduce it regularly, one time I started
off with the value of 10 in cell A1.  In the ten rows below
that, I pasted the formula = (A1 - 1).  A school kid could
have quickly figured out that cell A11 should equal to ZERO.

Excel's answer?  Something like = 10*E^-14.

A friend of mine, now retired, was a process engineer for a
major oil company.  This is a guy who was building huge chemical
process plants back before there were PCs.  He is very bright,
and he is also VERY computer savvy.  He tried to use Excel early
on for his process control calculations, and has said many times
that it is "fatally flawed."  In fairness, he has retested his
process control calculations in later versions of Excel, with
the same conclusion.

I don't care if stuff like this does get fixed down the road.
We're 12 years into the Windows version of Excel, and while
it's a very cool app in many, many ways, that's long enough.

More than I meant to write.

- Howard Brazzil