From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Alexander" <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "omega list" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: MENSA EasyLanguage Test Question

: > Anyway, here is the question:
: > On a tick chart, how can I tell that the current tick bar is the
: > last bar of the day without looking ahead at the next bar?
:
: You can't.  Not possible.  There's no way of knowing if another tick
: is going to arrive.
:
: I think the best you could do would be to do a statistical
: approximation of the likelihood of this being the last tick.  Look at
: the time, look at the tick rate for the last few minutes, look at the
: normal last-minute behavior in the last several days (since there is
: typically a flurry of ticks just before the close) and you could make
: a WAG* at the probability of the current tick being the last.  But
: you can't know for certain.
:
: (* WAG = Wild-Assed Guess)
:
: Do I still get the free drink?  :-)
:
: > This is a real trick on a tick chart. On an hourly it is easy, you
: > can just look at the session time.
:
: Even that's not 100% reliable.  Some days don't run until the normal
: closing time.  But presumably you're more interested in the realtime
: behavior than in backtesting, so you'd know in realtime if the market
: is supposed to close early today.
:
: Why do you want to know?  Maybe there's a better way to do what you
: want.
:
: Gary
: