Re: the ultimate ... how hot is too hot??

Dear df,

A story, perhaps, but probably not much help:

My 2nd PC was an IBM-XT with 256 K of RAM and a whopping 10 Meg HD.
Eventually, I bought my 3rd PC and relegated the XT to collecting data from
my BMI satellite as a backup data source using a data splitter.  The XT had
an internal fan, but, my, it was noisy.  To combat the noise, I bought a 4 x
8 ft sheet of 4 in thick styrofoam and built a 6-sided, self-enclosure for
the XT, which I ran 24 hours/day --- with no fans (except the internal XT
fan), and no air inlet/outlet on the styrofoam enclosure.  The 4 in thick
styrofoam container was warm to the touch.  When I would open it, its
interior felt like the hot room at the local health club --- I would
estimate 150 degrees.  Years later, when I got my 4th PC, I finally sold the
XT (bought for $4000, sold for $25) --- it was stilll running.  It might
have been old, but it was mighty!

Sincerely,

Richard