YEAH... Re: TS 2000i and LINUX?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002, Alex Matulich wrote:

> Patrick Tahl wrote:
> >Does anyone know if TS 2000i can be used with Linux?
>
> I'd like to know too.  I tried using WinE (Windows Emulator) to
> run Windows things under Linux, but it can be used only for simple
> stand-alone programs.  Something like Microsoft Excel is beyond its
> ability to handle.  I would venture to guess that TradeStation would
> present similar problems.
>
> Excel and TS are the only Windows-only programs I need to run at
> home.  Well, PaintShop Pro, too.  If I had Linux equivalents, I'd
> have a Windows-free household.  Gnome Calc and Star Office are
> almost there, but don't quote have the capabilities I need for
> macros and plotting.

For PaintShop Pro you could use Gimp. Excel you could use StarOffice.
The beta verison of 6 is out now and is an improvement on 5.

Now the results.

I have successfully run TS6 within vmware (www.vmware.com) 3.0 and
win98se. I am having no problems at all so far. I have setup my
virtual machine with 800MB disk and 64MB RAM. It works great, though
slower than an actual machine. I can start, stop, fold, spindle,
and otherwise mutulate windows to my heart's content!

My linux server has 576MB and I will now increase vm's allotment
of core to ~128 and see how it does.

I am very pleased with this software!

Mike