RE: reducing the noise of several PCs

  • To: "Omegalist" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: reducing the noise of several PCs
  • From: cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 09:35:25 -0800

Here's another idea if you don't like KVM switches, which I don't because
they always seem to have performance glitches and don't handle multiple
monitor configs too well, if at all.

Using something like VNC often draws complaints that it's slow. Well, it's
not. It's the network that's slow, right? So why not use 100/1000 NICs,
breath deep and buy a gig switch, and you'd barely know you're on a network.
So here's a config with approximate prices that would address lots of issues
probably without raising another.

Rack with power $250.
UPS to run for 2-3 hours, $600
4 x U1s, reasonably configured, $4500
1gb 8 port switch $3000
Router $300
Workstation for your desk $1200
Cables $100
Software you probably have

For about $10K, you can configure a suitable and very flexible environment
that lives in another room with redundancy and backup that'll perform
adequately for almost anything to do with trading.