RE: the ultimate .............

When it was installed (ca. 1998-99?), the most powerful supercomputer in the
world was at Sandia National Labs.  It was a roomful of custom Pentium Pro
motherboards- I think a total of about 2000 dual MB's, i.e. about 4,000
P-Pro's at 200MHz.  The network was a mesh that connected a logical grid of
(about) 16 x 128 where each board had a custom NIC that passed messages at
200-400 MB/s to each vertical/horizontal neighbor which in turn passed it
onto the destination node.  All air-cooled.  Each cabinet had a set of RAID
drives accessible by all nodes.  A small lightweight OS ran on each, with a
manager node that presented a Unix-like interface to the user.