RE: the ultimate .............

http://www.quietpc.com/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Fritz [mailto:fritz@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 11:56 AM
To: omega list
Subject: Re: the ultimate .............

I think the multiple mobos in one box is an interesting idea.  Might
be able to get some efficiency of airflow/cooling etc, maybe make the
beastie a little quieter than N separate boxes.

Noise is a concern for me.  All those fans are quite a distraction.
I've already got 4 computers within 4 feet of me.  Thank God one of
them is a laptop & virtually silent.  Now I'm looking at buying or
building a dual-CPU monster, and it will probably be as noisy as the
other 4 combined.  :-(  If I end up building it, I'm going to put
some effort into researching the quietest fans.

Too bad the boxes have to be nearby.  If I could stick them 20' away
I could put them into the next room and noise would be no problem.
The CD drive, printer, etc would be inconveniently far away, but I
think I could live with that.  But I don't think the video cable for
the monitor can be that long.  Or is there a solution for that?

> Not sure about having multiple motherboards etc. but I do know
> many people who have multiple computers and have just one mouse and
> keyboard controlling all of them.

This would be useful too.  I've got too many keyboards now.  I've
been meaning to look into a kbd/mouse multiplexer.  What are some
good ones?

Gary