RE: TS7+ in java?

Seriously doubt it because:
1) Double precision floating point performance of JDK 1.3 is horrible
compared to native compiled C++.
Yet, for some strange reason, SINGLE PRECISION float performance is close to
that of C++.
However, all of the benchmarks I have seen are older JDK 1.2, etc. and you
will have a hard time finding  a recent report showing C, C++, or Fortran
vs. Java.

JDK 1.4 has just been released as beta, but the feature list does not look
like many performance issues were addressed:
o 64-bit Support for Solaris/SPARCTM is now available in Beta 3.
o New features in Java Foundation Classes/Swing, JavaTM Web Start, JavaTM
Plug-in, and 	internationalization enable rich clients for Web services.
o Enhanced connectivity via XML, CORBA, IPv6, and JDBCTM 3.0 technology.
o New security features including JavaTM Secure Socket and JavaTM
Cryptography extensions, JavaTM o Authentication and Authorization Service,
Kerberos support, and a Certificate Path API.
o High-performance Java 2DTM graphics, new scalable I/O, and Java virtual
machine improvements.
o New Simple Assertion facility, Logging APIs, and better handling and
reporting of low resource conditions and errors make J2SE software the most
reliable, available, and serviceable platform for your mission-critical
applications and Web services.
o In addition to new features, version 1.4 addresses key customer issues (IE
"BUGS" !) and is fully compatible with previous J2SE software releases.

2) GUI interface of Java via Swing classes remains clumsy and ugly....and
the performance is horrible compared to comparable native code MFC classes.
Full-blown GUI apps written in Java required 800 Mhz with 256mb as a MINIMUM
platform to run.....and even then it takes 20-40 seconds for the 1st screen
to appear.

3) real-time Java is still a glint-in-the-eye and in the specification
stage:
http://www.rtj.org/
Forget a real-time data interface until this piece of Java has been
completed (don't hold your breath !)

And, to make matters worse, it's sponsor, Sun Microsystems, has been
distracted recently by it's own financial difficulties caused by the dot-com
meltdown.
Sun had been concentrating on SERVER-SIDE Java known as J2EE and has been
forsaking the CLIENT-SIDE portion of Java up till just recently.

As you can see, Java performance issues still loom large.....but yes, it's a
great language....