RE: Re[2]: off topic - ms word

"Were'nt Earlier versions (pre 2000) MDI  ? till progress set in for
2000.."

There are actually two stpuid "innovations" in Office 2000.  The first was
the collapsable menus.  What a royal pain to have to exapnd you're menus
every time you run the app.  For those who like it (the minority I've talked
to) the feature should be an option or the last setting should be
remembered.  Really, it should be an option (in the same place in every app
so it's easy to find) in all office apps.  Turn it on and off.  I would
definitely turn it OFF!

The seocnd one is this one, SDI/MDI issue.  I hate that one too.  It
clutters the task bar and despite nuerous features that try to give you a
fast and easy way to identify which SDI document is the one you're looking
for, you can never quite tell.  And forget using Alt-tab to select your
program with so many documents it's imposssible.  With alt tab you can't
even tell which word document is the one you want.  At least on the task
bar, they attempted to clue you in but it still is terrible.

Office 97 was better in this respect.  They should roll out those two
features.

Microsoft makes good software generally, but this is Microsoft at it's
worse -- throwing in features for the sake of change.  They do it in windows
and they're doing it in office.  It's as if they have a committee devoted to
ways to change office just to make it different.  If those two features
really passed usability testing with flying colors I'd be really surprised.
They were probably some project manager's pet idea who forced them in with
no usability testing whatsoever.  No one in MSFT actually dare criticize it
because it was their job that was at stake.

But who can blame them.  Afterall, if something wasn't different, visibly
different, why would people spend the money to upgrade?