Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Lengthy Download

  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:00:30 -0800 (PST)
  • From: Mr Distinque <distinque@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Lengthy Download

First question is why 10000 symbols?
How many of those do you actually follow, can you review in a day?
What is your Internet connection speed?
What else is running on your box?

If you feel you do need that many, can some be broke out to a weekly update?

Another approach would be to update the ones you are actually trading, have positions in, and the potential ones you are tracking to put on a position.  When they are done, download the rest while you are performing your EOD analysis.

For comparison I use to do about 4k symbols in 20 minutes with Downloader with a 4CPU 3ghz and 2GB ram.

Might help to check you swap file size and defrag your disk.

IMHO a little more time focused one the ones you actually trade or are watching would be better.  Now I mostly trade Forex and a select group of ETFs.  Life is a lot simpler and a lot more profitable.

You also may need to weed out the bad symbols.  Create an explorer that captures the last data date for each security.  If any are more than 2 days old, they may need their symbols update or just be deleted.  I also use this date check on my everyday explorer runs are part of a qualification.  No need to look at anything that is not current.
EGO Sum Qua EGO Sum

"A corporation's primary goal is to make money. Government's primary role is to take a big chunk of that money and give it to others." —Larry Ellison