RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] RMO sizzle adjusted moving averages & zero lag oscillators

Superfragalist:

You are dead RIGHT and thanks for this thoughtful posting.

Lionel

From: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of superfragalist
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:54 AM
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] RMO sizzle adjusted moving averages & zero lag oscillators

The name RMO is all about marketing. In the world of TA nearly all
indicators are sold on the "mystery" and not the performance.

It's selling the sizzle rather than the steak. If Equis had said,
we're putting in the Rainbow OSC into MS 10, want to upgrade? Well,
you better step back because the stampede is coming!

Equis built a whole marketing campaign around the RMO based on what a
great system it is. It's performance is based on the same fundamental
issue. In a definitive trend nearly anything works well. This premise
about definitive trends seems so simple, but many people ignore it, or
worse, assume they get it. The best book that really defines the
importance of knowing the trend is How I Trade for a Living by Gary
Smith.

Anytime something comes out that's new, the code hacks start the
reverse engineering. Often it's simple.

It's surprising how much mystery sells. My favorite example is the CS
Scientific expert based on fuzzy logic. There are more questions on
that than any other expert in MS. It's amazing how many people think
it's the most accurate expert in MS. Many people have tried to track
down the developer, the company or anyone that knew them so they can
"buy" the code.

When I tell people it's simply a moving average crossover, they think
I'm lying to them, or I don't know what I'm talking about. Moving
average crossovers are based on stocastics so they're fundamental
fuzzy logic equations. In the ribbon indicator, there's a std dev
thrown in so now it's really getting into deeper fuzzy logic.

Mystery is wonderful. It just doesn't make anyone but the seller any
money.

Super

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@xxx> wrote:

> GV,
>
> You are correct, I would like to see an easier version of the
> indicator even though I know that a SMA(6) is very close. While 1%
> at this quick/short of a lookback is not much I can't help but think
> that the further out you go the bigger the difference would be.
>
> I also mentioned that not all programmers lay all their cards on the
> table. I was talking about myself, not Wabbit. To see all of the
> Equis forum discussion go to:
>
> http://forum.equis.com/forums/thread/23170.aspx
>
> As far as the RMO versus the Rainbow, I would have to say that
> little was ever published about the Rainbow. What we have then is an
> enhanced version of the Rainbow which happens to be called the RMO
> and that's quite okay. Maybe the name should be changed to "RMO...an
> enhanced Rainbow Oscillator System".
>
> I'm really glad that you have been able to learn something from the
> discussion. If we've stimulated some other minds as well then its
> been a really good day.
>

> Preston
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Vasanth Mohan G Buddaan"
> <vgbudawn@> wrote:
> >
> > I take Preston saying "...and would love to see a shorter / easier
> version of it" to be an invitation to take the discussion further.
> >
> > Actually wabbit himself in his post has nicely dissected the
> recursive averaging to its well approximated simpler version as
> below;
> >
> > "...it might be interesting to note that the
> AverageOfMovingAverages (the mathematical average of the ten 2 bar
> SMAs) is ALMOST the same as a much more simple _expression_, Mov
> (C,6,S). If you compare the PRECISE VALUES of the
> AverageOfMovingAverages and the Mov(C,6,S) there is always a small
> difference, but, if you compare the instances when the CLOSE crosses
> the AverageOfMovingAverages and the instances when the CLOSE crosses
> the Mov(C,6,S) they are the same, with about 3-4% error. If you
> apply one bar latitude in either direction, the two expressions are
> the same within 1%. Thefore, for testing when the CLOSE crosses the
> AverageOfMovingAverages the trader could easily substitute Mov
> (C,6,S) for the more complicated _expression_."
> >

> > But what I was more interested in RMO was not the formula in
> itself which when the indicator itself is available has no more
> additional use but how it, so well, tackled the 'gaps' or the
> wildness of a couple of ticks in the direction opposite to the
> trend / position. Most usual MACO system would have created a lag
> and if a signal had been generated in that skew it would have
> carried on for quite a while but was not so in RMO. When the whole
> Rainbow Indicator formula itself is taken for studying, the process
> does not become obvious but when the simplified version of wabbit is
> considered it makes eminent sense.
> >
> > What better way than to average the skewedness of a couple of
> ticks with more saner ones prior or past to them to reduce the
> [...]