[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: RSX AND JURIK MOVING AVERAGE

Ahh, a man after my own heart!

So let's consider a variable or weighted zero lag. Maybe something
like this:

{Zero Lag VariableMA}
Period:= Input("What Period",1,250,10);
VMA1:= Mov(C,Period,VAR);
VMA2:= Mov(VMA1,Period,VAR);
Difference:= VMA1 - VMA2;
ZeroLagVMA:= VMA1 + Difference;
ZeroLagVMA

or

{Zero Lag WeightedMA}
Period:= Input("What Period",1,250,10);
WMA1:= Mov(C,Period,W);
WMA2:= Mov(WMA1,Period,W);
Difference:= WMA1 - WMA2;
ZeroLagWMA:= WMA1 + Difference;
ZeroLagWMA

or maybe a combination of these.......

Interestingly, the metastock help file had this to say about the
variable moving average...

"A variable moving average is an exponential moving average that
automatically adjusts the smoothing constant based on the volatility
of the data series.  The more volatile the data, the larger the
smoothing constant used in the moving average calculation.  The
larger the smoothing constant, the more weight given to the current
data.  The opposite is true for less volatile data.
Trader's often associate high volatility with strongly trending
markets.  However, this is a mistake.  Strong trending markets are
often less volatile because of the consistency of day-to-day price
changes.  Its when prices are erratic in their day-to-day movements
(i.e., down a lot, up a little, up a little, up a lot, up a little,
down a little, etc.), that volatility increases.  This can occur in
uptrending, downtrending, or sideways markets.

Typical moving averages suffer from the inability to compensate for
changes in volatility.  During volatile markets, you want a moving
average to increase its sensitivity, so that you will quickly be on
the correct side of any wild gyrations.  By automatically adjusting
the smoothing constant, a variable moving average is able to adjust
its sensitivity, allowing it to perform better in both high and low
volatility markets.
VMA = (0.78*(volatility index) * close) + (1-0.078 * volatility
index)*yesterday's VMA

The absolute value of a 9-period Chande Momentum Oscillator is used
for the volatility index.  The higher this index the more volatile
the market, thereby increasing the sensitivity of the moving average.
This method of calculating a variable moving average was presented
by Tushar Chande in the March 1992 issue of Technical Analysis of
Stocks & Commodities magazine."

So it appears that the variable moving average is a great way to
introduce volatility into an exponential moving average!

Can't wait to see all the interesting combinations that you guys
will come up with.

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Jennings"
<davidjennings@xxx> wrote:

> Preston,
> I don't disagree.
>
> Sadly, Yahoo dropped off the chart that comparing it with some
other MAs. One of these was the IR MA which was the sum of the EPMA
and the IRLS divided by two. Another was the Weighted MA which has
quite good characteristics. Depending on the application, if you are
looking for a low lag MA (without buying Mark Jurik's excellent
products) with minimal overshoot have a look at a volatility
weighted adaptive moving average. As in in all things it depends on
what you are trying to achieve.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: