RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] RSI calculation

The RSI was invented by Welles Wilder in his book "New Concepts in Technical
Trading Systems" - along with other goodies like the PSAR, the ATR, the
directional movement system (ADX) etc. He defines the RSI as

RSI = 100 - (100/(1+RS)) where

RS = Average of 14 bars up closes/average of 14 bars down closes

BUT he also added smoothing, as he was doing all this by hand, so for the
subsequent bars of calculation he would take the previous average up close,
multiply by 13, add today's up close (if any) and divide by 14. Ditto for
down closes. So his up and down close averages were just over a 7%
exponential average.

SO this is the original, and the one on which a lot of the interpretation is
based.

Andrew