[EquisMetaStock Group] Indian markets

Jose, you have no idea!

Did you know

     class=GramE>that<font size=2
     face=Arial> one of the
     oldest stock exchanges in the world and THE oldest in <font
      size=2 face=Arial>Asia<font
     size=2 face=Arial> is the
     Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in <font
       size=2 face=Arial>Bombay<font
      size=2 face=Arial>, <font
       size=2 face=Arial>India<font
     size=2 face=Arial>? It
     was 130 years old last week. Naturally one of the worlds oldest listed company
     is Indian, still trading over 10 million shares a day!
     class=GramE>that<font size=2
     face=Arial> the BSE lists
     more companies than any other exchange in the WORLD? More than 6300 and
     still counting!
     class=GramE>that<font size=2
     face=Arial> with the
     advent of the competing exchange National Stock Exchange (NSE) in 1994, we
     had moved over completely to online computerized trading from floor
     trading, much earlier that <font
       size=2 face=Arial>New
       York<span
     >, or <font
       size=2 face=Arial>London<font
     size=2 face=Arial>.
     class=GramE>that<font size=2
     face=Arial> Indian
     traders had developed and used unique hybrid option and forward contracts
     as far back as early 1900s, much before anyone had even dreamt of the
     possibilities?
     size=2 color=navy face=Arial>That we had a price discovery mechanism called badla
     (pronounced badh-la) that combined spot and
     forward pricing variables. This is still unique in the world. Unfortunately,
     it has been discontinued now because of regulatory diktat.
     size=2 color=navy face=Arial>That we are one of the few in the world to have introduced
     individual stock futures and options along with index futures and options
     about 4 years back? Naturally we clock the maximum turnover in the world
     on stock futures.
     size=2 color=navy face=Arial>That we have had more stock scams per nation till the <font
       size=2 face=Arial>US<font
     size=2 face=Arial>
     markets recently took over this dubious distinction! 8-D Regulation has
     always been our Achilles heel.

You only need to see venerable 80 year old
topi clad Gujurati traders reverently
stoop to touch the steps on the entrance to the BSE to know that speculation is
as much a part of our blood and culture as curry!!

Regards,<font
color=navy>

Vignesh Eswar<font
color=navy>