Re: PC speed up

Lionel,

I've run a computer repair shop for a number of years and the BEST book for
_optimizing windows_ goes by that name. I heartily recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926773/thesiliconunderg

It's filled with technical tweaks and tricks to speed thing up and the
methods do work -- I know because I've implemented them in all the computers
I sell.

The website will tell you much of the same, I imagine -- I can only get part
of the front page because my internet here in India right now  is sooooooo
slooooooow.

If you need a quick fix, I think you could benefit from a little cleanup and
defragging the computer. Here's how.

STEP 1
RIGHT-click on Internet Explorer on the desktop, choose Properties and then,
under the General tab, hit the "Delete Files" button under the Temporary
Internet Files section.

STEP 2
Delete all the temp files that have accumulated. Go to Start|Find|Files or
Folders and type "*.tmp" (no quotes) in the Named field and be sure you tell
it to Look In the C:\ drive. Highlight all the files found by typing CTRL+A,
RIGHT-click on them and choose delete. Some file may be in use and you can't
delete them. That's okay.
Once you're done, don't forget to empty the Recycle Bin by RIGHT-clicking on
it and choosing "Empty Recycle Bin"

STEP 3
1. Re-start the computer and once it's going, do a CTRL+ALT+DELETE and "End
Task" everything except Explorer. Sometimes you have to repeat the "End
Task" bit on certain programs.

2. Once that's done, go to Start | Run and type "defrag C:\" (no quotes).

3. Go out and wash the car, because it's gonna take a while...

4. Restart computer afterwards.

Jim