Natural Gas and other natural resources

<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>Bill
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>Interesting figures. My concern is more available
potential supply in the ground in US territory. Any idea of the amount in 1980,
1990, and 2000 as well as estimates (with increasing consumption) for 2010 and
2020?
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>Ultimately I do not believe that our society is
sustainable. We are using natural resources and destroying the ecosystem of the
planet that will ultimately lead to our own destruction. Hope I am wrong but
this is the way I see it.
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>neo
<SPAN
class=560564401-14092001>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #008080 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of wavemechanicSent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 8:13
  PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: Stand proud,
  America!
  Neo:

  Here are the figures:

  Reserves (10^12 m^3) at end of
  year:

  5.4 (1980)

  4.71 (1990)
      4.74 (2000)

  Consumption (10^11 m^3) at end of
  year:

      5.4 (1980)
      6.2 (1990)
      6.5 (2000)

  Production (10^11 m^3) at end of
  year:

      5.1 (1980)
      5.4 (1990)
      5.6 (2000)

  So reserves and production have been held constant
  while consumption and imports increased.  Given the fact that reserves
  are not infinite, this does not sound like a sensible way to go, i.e., use the
  other guys reserves before your own.  But also, don't forget that there
  is a huge reserve of gas locked up in the form of coal.  Actually,
  probably a good way to use the large reserves of low caloric value
  coal.

  As for shipping, natural gas can be shipped like oil
  and, in fact, is shipped all over the world in liquefied form.  The U.S.
  currently obtains about 5% of its requirements in this
  manner.

  Solar, wind, geothermal, ocean tides, etc. are
  certainly other alternatives.  But there is no free lunch there
  either.  For example, how much space are we willing to turn over to solar
  panel farms, which are not the prettiest things around?  Or to windmill
  farms?  (Wisconsin did a study and the acreage required to replace a
  fossil or nuclear power plant is significant.)  How much of our land are
  we willing to devote to such usage?  Where will such farms go?  How
  cost competitive does alternative energy have to be?  Etc., etc.
  Certainly valid questions for governmental studies, but to the best of my
  knowledge no answers at the present time.  Then again we have gone for
  many, many years without an energy strategy or governmental leadership so the
  absence of answers is not surprising.

  Bill
  <BLOCKQUOTE
    <DIV