Stand proud, America!

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of
the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
forgave other billions in debts.  None of these countries is today paying
even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who
propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the
streets of Paris.  I was there.  I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in
to help.    This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.

Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
discouraged countries.   Now newspapers in those countries are writing about
the Decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion
of the United States dollar build its own airplane.  Does any other country
in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed
Tri-Star,
or the Douglas DC10?

If so, why don't they fly them?  Why do all the international lines except
Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the
moon?  you talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios.

You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.  You talk about
American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several
times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put their right in the store
window for everybody to look at.

Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.  They are here on our
streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are
getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railway of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age,
it was the Americans who rebuilt them.  When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose.  Both are
still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of the other
people in trouble.    Can you name me even one time when someone else raced
to the Americans in trouble?  I don't think there was outside help even
during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired
of hearing them get kicked around.  They will come out of this thing with
their flag high.  And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at
the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is NOT one of those.

STAND PROUD, AMERICA!    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
(author : Gordon Sinclair)