Re: Optimization

At 09:32 AM 6/4/01 -0400, you wrote: >>>> It seems to be that the conventional wisdom is that the longer the optimization, the better. I wonder. We know that market conditions change. Perhaps it would be better to optimize repeatedly over the past 3 months or so. I do not have the answer to this.
One thing I do believe is that the criteria for going long or short should be mirror images.
neo
<<
If you backtest and optimize for Short and Long system saparately you'll find that the optimum periods are not the same, i.e. up and down prices vary at different rates. The same goes for stop loss limits, I found that the percentages/ratios are not the same for Short and Long.
This leads me to believe that up and down trends (even very short ones) have different characteristics.
I do not have a great deal of trading experience so I invite others to comment further on this.
Best, Herman.