RE: System Tester Equity Line

Wow,
this is really great although I have my doughts if this will work in the MS EOD
version.  This opens a whole new can of worms with tons of possibilities if
this works ok.  One more thing, your entry is the CLOSE but by doing it
this way I believe you could use stop entry and exit orders, no ?
Something like buy at yesterday high + one tick, and how would I have to code
this ?  I've been looking for testing capabilities like this for
years.
Also
is their a way to implement stops into this ?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
thank you very much
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Mickey
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of Dave NadeauSent: dinsdag 22 mei 2001
  4:40To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxCc: lambertb1@xxxxxxxxx;
  psytek@xxxxxxxxSubject: RE: System Tester Equity
  Line
  Herman and
  Bob,

  Below is a posting from
  the [MetastockUsers] group in Yahoo!Groups.  I was writing this in
  response to someone's question/assertion that you couldn't test a system
  across a porfolio of stocks (I do agree that you can't do it in the Metastock
  System Tester...).

  Notice the
  EQTY:=    variable that I'm using.  You can plot this
  separately as FmlVar("IndicatorName","EQTY") in any chart and it will give you
  an Equity line.  You can also apply a Moving Average to it, or write it
  into the formula itself.

  <FONT face="Century Gothic" color=#000080
  size=2>-------------------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Century Gothic" color=#000080 size=2>

  > > --- In
  Metastockusers@xxxx, "John R" <jrdrp@xxxx> wrote:

  K,

  > > > 1. You can use the Metastock Explorer to scan
  multiple selected stock files<FONT
  color=#000000>
  > > > for those which satisfy a specified set of
  conditions e.g. 10 day EMA
  > > > crossed
  above 10 day EMA and volume surge in last 2 days.<FONT face=Arial
  color=#000080>
  I beg to differ on this thread. Given certain
  limitations, there's a lot of systems that can be tested in Metastock, as
  is--Version 6.52 on up as far as I know....
  You can create your system within an indicator,
  calculate whatever system statistics you'd like, and run those in an
  Exploration.
  Here's an example. I will use John's suggestion above.
  This is a Long only system which enters when the Close crosses above the 10
  period simple MA and volume is 10 percent greater each time on two successive
  bars.
  ExampleIndicator<FONT face=Arial
  color=#000080 size=2>
  DelayOnEntry:=1;<FONT face=Arial
  color=#ff0000 size=2>
  {This corresponds to the Options Button on the System
  Tester}
  Periods:=10;<FONT face=Arial
  color=#ff0000 size=2>
  {Moving Average Length}<FONT
  face=Arial color=#000080 size=2>
  EntryPoint:=CLOSE;<FONT face=Arial
  color=#ff0000 size=2>
  {DITTO: This corresponds to the Options Button on the
  System Tester}
  <P
  align=left>EnterLong:=If(Cum(1)=Periods+3,1,Cross(C,Mov(C,Periods,S))
  AND (V>1.1*Ref(V,-1) AND Ref(V,-1)>1.1*Ref(V,-2)));
  <P
  align=left>ExitLong:=If(Cum(1)=Periods+4,1,Cross(Mov(C,Periods,S),C));
  <P
  align=left>POSN:=If(Ref(BarsSince(EnterLong)<=BarsSince(ExitLong),-1*DelayOnEntry),1,0);
  <P
  align=left>EQTY:=Cum(If(Ref(POSN,-1)=1,EntryPoint-Ref(EntryPoint,-1),0));
  TotTrades:=Cum(Cross(POSN,0.5));
  <P
  align=left>WinTrade:=(ValueWhen(1,Ref(Cross(POSN,0.5),-1),EntryPoint)<ValueWhen(1,Ref(Cross(0.5,POSN),-1),EntryPoint));
  Winners:=Cum(Cross(WinTrade,0.5));

  Notice that I've put in three different calculations in
  this "indicator". I have Equity, total trades, and winning
trades.
  You can use this in an exploration as
  follows:
  Col A: {System Equity}
  FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","EQTY");
  ColB: {Total Trades}
  FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","TotTrades");
  ColC: {Winning Trades}
  FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","Winners");
  ColD: {Winning Percentage}
  <P
  align=left>FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","Winners")/FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","TotTrades");
  ColE: {Equity per Trade}
  <P
  align=left>FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","Eqty")/FmlVar("ExampleIndicator","TotTrades");
  You'll get results something like the screen capture
  below. This was a test over a portfolio of 381 stocks. You can sort the
  results by any column you'd like, export this to Excel for portfolio summary
  analysis, etc.<FONT face="Century Gothic" color=#ff0000
  size=2>
  <<<<<
  Screen capture is
  in the message that follows>>>><FONT color=#000080
  size=2>
  So, really you can do anything you like. You are limited only by
  the Formula Language (which remains a limiter in the System Tester as well)
  and by the total number of columns you can use in an Exploration.
  I provide the previous system just as an example of what you can
  do currently in Metastock. Mine is V.03 Professional, but any version will
  work.
  By the way John.....nice system! Overall, as a portfolio, on my
  381 high volume stocks, using 1300 bars of EOD data (approx. 4 years), the
  overall results were 263 points net with a winning percentage of 46%. Perhaps
  you should contact Equis with your idea for the next release -- 7.3???
  Dave Nadeau
  Fort Collins, CO

  > -----Original Message-----> From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [<A
  href="mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";><FONT
  size=2>mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
  Of Herman van den Bergen> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 12:45 PM>
  To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: System Tester Equity
  Line>>> At 12:25 PM 5/18/01 -0700, you wrote:>
  >To List & MS Support:> >> >Is there any way to
  gain access to the Equity Line> >in System Tester, as either an
  indicator or data> >field?>> Hi John, I have been
  trying to work this out also. The only way, I am told> by MS Support
  and private programmers, is by writing a custom DLL. However> it would
  not allow you to change your trading formulas on the fly while> running
  your system tester - so if you change your rule you would have to>
  change your DLL.>> I assume you are trying to get Equity
  feedback to modify your stops and> trading rules - this is what i am
  working on. What you can do is write two> trading systems and run first
  the one without Equity feedback> then "select"> the displayed
  equity curve and run your second trading system which> accesses the
  selected equity curve by using the P variable. It is a bit of> a work
  around and troublesome as always you have to run two systems to get>
  your results.>> I can't find the post someone referred to
  however I have emailed> the person> who was suppossed to have
  posted it. If you email me your email address we> can exchange info on
  this topic - you can reach me at psytek@xxxxxxxx MS> support also
  emailed me a partial solution - I don't like copying others'> email to
  the net but can email it to you privately.>> I have simulated
  Equity feedback in Excel and to me it seems to work very> well. You can
  perform TA on the equity line, to tell you when to reverse> your
  position (without changing rules) or go into cash.>> Well, email
  me if you are interested in exchanging ideas on this project.> We could
  even form a small group to work on this.>> Happy
  trading,> Herman.>> >> >Let's say I wished
  to apply a moving average to the> >Equity Line, and decided I wanted
  my system> >to automatically exit,if the Equity Line>
  >crossed its moving average.Is it possible to> >specify such a
  condition within the System tester> >Entry/Exit conditions?>

  Yahoo!?> >Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
  prices> ><A target=_blank
  href="http://auctions.yahoo.com/";><FONT
  size=2>http://auctions.yahoo.com/> >>