Re: use IF statement, return nul value

Dan,

Yes, that is why the plot on the Close ("C") when False.  That is what the
whole discussion has been about.  The If logical instruction packaged with
Metastock will always generate a value to plot for both TRUE and FALSE
values of the If logical.  This always creates a continuous line or
continually dotted line.  A discontinuous function that would plot on only
either the TRUE result or the FALSE result would be possible if there was a
logical NULL value that could be used to suppress the point plot and the
connect the dots plot function.  But Metastock won't allow it and has no
NULL value function.

So the discussion has been on again - off again for several months about a
manner in which we could trick Metastock and come up with something that
comes close to approximating a discontinuous function plot.  This fudge
factor attempt was as close as I could get to that result.  Yes, the FALSE
result does plot, but is almost imperceptible when examining the graphic
output.

When I first read your letter I thought that there was a dot above every
bar, not some above the bar (High times factor) and some on (at the Close)
which is what happens.  I hope I've explained what's going on here.  It is
not a true NULL output result, but is as close as I can get given the
limitations of the Metastock function language.

Hope this helps! ............. John